Texas plays host for UFC 262, headlined by Charles Oliveira and Michael Chandler clashing for the vacant Lightweight Championship.
Kentucky Derby 2021 Betting Picks
The 147th running of the Kentucky Derby happens at Churchill Downs on Saturday, May 1, 2021. The 1 1/4 mile race features up to 20 of the best three-year-old horses in America. Get to know the best horses and the best bets here!
The 147th running of the Kentucky Derby happens at Churchill Downs on Saturday, May 1, 2021. The 1 1/4 mile race features up to 20 of the best three-year-old horses in America, competing for a $3 million purse, a blanket of roses, and a place in horse racing legend.
Keep reading to find out the best 2021 Kentucky Derby picks.
Kentucky Derby Online Betting
Make sure your Kentucky Derby is profitable and successful by wagering on the 2021 Kentucky Derby with the best online sportsbooks, like Bodog, Betway and SportsInteraction (SIA). They offer the best odds, payouts, and bonuses. No matter what kind of a bettor you are, there will be a sportsbook that offers the right wagering experience for you!
Kentucky Derby Horses
The expected field for the 2021 Kentucky Derby with jockeys and trainers, in order of preference, is:
- Essential Quality: Brad Cox/Luis Saez
- Hot Rod Charlie: Doug O’Neill/Flavien Prat
- Super Stock: Steve Asmussen/Ricardo Santana, Jr.
- Like the King: Wesley Ward/Drayden Van Dyke
- Known Agenda: Todd Pletcher/Irad Ortiz, Jr.
- Rock Your World: John Sadler/Joel Rosario
- Bourbonic: Todd Pletcher/Kendrick Carmouche
- Medina Spirit: Bob Baffert/John Velazquez
- Midnight Bourbon: Steve Asmussen/Mike Smith
- Mandaloun: Brad Cox/Florent Geroux
- Highly Motivated: Chad Brown/Javier Castellano
- Helium: Mark Casse/Julien Leparoux
- Soup and Sandwich: Mark Casse/Tyler Gaffalione
- Dynamic One: Todd Pletcher/Jose Ortiz
- Sainthood: Todd Pletcher/Jockey TBA
- Hidden Stash: Vicki Oliver/Rafael Bejarano
- O Besos: Greg Foley/Marcelino Pedroza
- Get Her Number: Peter Miller/Jockey TBA
- King Fury: Ken McPeek/Brian Hernandez
- Keepmeinmind: Robertino Diodoro/David Cohen
The final field will be drawn on Tuesday, April 27, 2021. On that date you will know post positions and official United States morning lines.
Kentucky Derby Handicapping
The 2021 Kentucky Derby favourite will be Essential Quality. He is a consistent and pace-versatile horse, with wins in all five of his starts so far. He showed grit to wear down Highly Motivated to win the Blue Grass (G2). He also has a win at Churchill last year, though his trainer Brad Cox has never started a horse in the Kentucky Derby before.
The best bet to win the Kentucky Derby is Known Agenda. Trained by two-time Derby winner Todd Pletcher, Known Agenda is an improving three-year-old who is bred well to get the Derby distance. He is a late runner who doesn’t have to drop extremely far back, so likely to get a good run. And, he won one of the best Kentucky Derby preps, the Florida Derby.
In addition to those two shorter-priced horses, it makes sense to play longer shots around them.
King Fury should be roaring down the stretch. He won the Lexington Stakes at Keeneland in his first start at age three. Trainer Ken McPeek usually doesn’t have his runners fully cranked first time off a layoff, so he should be even better for the Derby. The son of Curlin is bred well to stretch out, and he is already a stakes winner at Churchill Downs.
Helium has only raced three times, but he is undefeated and he has used three different running styles in his three victories. That should help him carve out a good trip in an often chaotic 20-horse Kentucky Derby.
In deeper exotics like trifectas and superfectas, consider Midnight Bourbon, who ran consistently all winter at Fair Grounds. He has tactical speed and should be plucky enough to hang on for a share at long odds. Dynamic One, second in the Wood, is also bred well for the stretch out and should be able to pass a lot of tiring speed horses.
Kentucky Derby Best Bets
- $50 to win on Known Agenda
- $5 to Place and Show on King Fury, Helium
- $1 Exacta Box: Known Agenda, Essential Quality, King Fury, Helium
- $1 Trifecta Box: Known Agenda, Essential Quality, King Fury, Helium, Midnight Bourbon
- $1 Superfecta Key: Known Agenda with Essential Quality, King Fury, Helium, Midnight Bourbon, Dynamic One
Kentucky Derby Undercard
The Kentucky Derby is a star-studded week at Churchill Downs. The stars begin to come out on Friday, April 30, with a card featuring six stakes and headlined by the $1,250,000 Kentucky Oaks (G1). There will be great betting opportunities all day, and the Oaks/Derby Double and the Oaks Day/Derby Day Pick 6 begin on Friday.
2021 Kentucky Derby Day features seven rich graded stakes races as well. In addition to the Derby Churchill runs the $500,000 Churchill Downs Stakes (G1), the $500,000 Derby City Distaff (G1), the $500,000 Distaff Turf Mile (G2), the $500,000 American Turf (G2), the $500,000 Pat Day Mile (G2), and the $1,000,000 Old Forester Bourbon Turf Classic.
Category : Sports BlogMore articles...
The 2021 Preakness Stakes will be run Saturday, May 15 at Pimlico Race Course. The race drew 10 of the best American three-year-olds. Read on to find out the best contenders, and the best places to bet the race online.
The NHL Playoffs start on May 15 and feature two exciting all-Canadian matchups in the first round. Get ready for the playoffs with our betting preview on the series, and who we are betting on will win the Stanley Cup.
Leicester City aims to capture their first FA Cup when they take on last year’s runner-up Chelsea on May 15. Find out if Leicester makes history or if Chelsea adds another trophy to the case in our betting preview.